Wednesday 17 February 2010

a little update

It doesn't seem like a month & a half since I've blogged, as the time has passed so quickly. I wish I could say that we've been having too much fun for me to find time to blog, but in reality, it's been a huge time of change for our family, which although is positive overall, has been very emotionally draining & we're still coming to terms with it all.

As some of you know, my Mum is living with Alzheimer's disease. As the disease has progressed, her care needs have grown & by last September, we realised Mum was needed more help than we could give her at home. Since then, we've been waiting for her to be offered a permanent place in a good care facility. We were expecting a long wait, but by God's grace, we were offered one unexpectedly in our preferred place on 11 January & Mum had to moved in 2 days later (when things happen, they happen fast!). As you can probably imagine, the change has been a rollercoaster of emotions for Mum & for us all, not to mention our extended family & Mum's friends & one we all just need more time to settle into a new phase of life.

One thing I know is that I'm so so so thankful to have my darling Damien at my side to share the load (& my many moods) & wonderful friends to talk things over with (& on many occasions cry with). I've also been so proud of my special girl Cara, who's had lots of deal with beyond an 8 year olds experience. Anyway, I won't say more for now. Hope to be back soonish.

Warmest wishes
Di

PS: A final hello & thanks to my fab & understanding friends & customers who haven't had a class since December & no blogging inspiration either. I'm looking forward to getting some stamping done soon to show you. I do have a few things to show that I made in Nov/Dec/Jan for friends & family, so hope to get them up here soon.

5 comments:

Karen said...

Hey there my beautiful friend!

Just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you. I couldnt not imagine how hard things are for you right now!

Take care of you!

Luv Karen
x

Sarah Klass said...

Aww Di, what a lot you have going on. Big hugs to you and your gorgeous family.

Love Sair x

Andrea said...

Hello Di.

Your mother is very lucky to have such a special daughter.

My thoughts are with you, and don't hesitate to let me know if you need anything at all. You know I'm not far from you at all.

Please don't forget to take care of yourself too.

Love,
andrea.

Sam said...

I'm thinking of you and your family right Di.

Big hugs,
Sam.

Chrissie said...

Hi Di.
You poor thing... I went through the same thing wirh my Dad (he suffered from dementia) so I know how hard it is for you right now. I hope things get better for you as your Mum settles in to her new home.

Hugs,
Chrissie