Wednesday 4 November 2009

Patchwork friend

Well, here I am again on a much cooler day than the 37 degree oven we had in Sydney yesterday. I still have a cold & my throat has gone out in sympathy today, but at least I don't have to talk to show you the second card from my Spring Mini classes. This time I've used some 'Walk in the Park' DSP arranged into a patchwork grid & the very popular 'Great Friend' stamp set.To make the patchwork shaped piece, I printed a template from the Stampin' Up! demonstrator website onto some cardstock, attached some really wide double sided tape over the whole template (still using it Ngai!), stuck punched squares of 'Walk in the Park' DSP on it (1 3/8 inch-3.5cm punch), then cut the template out. The trick to getting the patchwork centred is to attach the 2 centre pieces first & work out from there. After I made the first one, I found that the Stampin' Up!® glue sticks works better than the double sided tape, as you can wiggle the pieces into place better.
To finish off the piece, I've wrapped some pink taffeta ribbon around the shape & added a stamped 'Great Friend' butterfly & greeting in cameo coral ink (popped on dimensionals). The greeting was punched out with the curly label punch & I've added a little filigree brad & pink brad in the corner. I've layered the finished piece onto the kiwi kiss base & a piece of so saffron card wrapped with old olive grosgrain ribbon.
Raspberry Tart Friend
I thought you might also like the first version of the card, which I made using Raspberry Tart DSP (this is my absolute favourite paper from the current catty & you'll be seeing lots more of it).Anyhoo, I'd better try to get some things done here, much as I'd still rather be on the couch. Back soon with....I haven't decided yet :0)
Inky wishes
Di

PS:I've seen lots of these type of patchwork cards over time, so can't credit anyone in particular for the idea, but one that did stick out in my memory is this cute baby card on the fabulous Karen's blog.
Supplies:
Walk in the Park
Stamps: Great Friend
Card/Paper: kiwi kiss, so saffron, whisper white, Walk in the Park DSP
Ink: cameo coral
Accessories: 5/8 inch old olive grosgrain, pink taffeta ribbon, filigree brad, pretty in pink brad
Tools: Curly label punch

Raspberry TartStamps: Great Friend
Card/Paper: rose red, pink pirouette, whisper white, raspberry Tart DSP
Ink: regal rose, rose red
Accessories: 5/8 inch regal rose grosgrain, kiwi kiss satin ribbon, filigree brad
Tools: Curly label punch
Great Friend - 116889 - $31.95

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Why is it that you make me want to buy everything you use? It's not fair on my bank balance. Ha ha... Another great idea, Di.